Research | Communications | Advocacy | Training | Facilitation
Find me at email@example.com
The BabyBot book
Big Tsek: Joburg’s Private Surveillance Network and our Public Deficit was delivered as the Ruth First Memorial Lecture in 2022.
It focuses on a controversial private camera network being rolled out in South African cities, by a company called Vumacam, to consider why the private power of giant technology companies is so often treated as more palatable and benign than state power.
Track and trace, trial and error is a piece of long-form research for the Media Policy and Democracy Project which focuses on the South African government’s evolving approach to contact tracing and related data collection in the first year of the Covid-19 pandemic. It attempts to piece together how policy decisions were made, how they were implemented, and how effectively the implications for data protection, privacy and related issues were addressed.
Cops and Call Records is a piece of long-form research commissioned by the Media Policy and Democracy Project at the University of Johannesburg; it focuses on lack of regulation in how police officials in South Africa use phone records – a major and mostly overlooked privacy issue with massive legal and ethical implications.
A Patchwork for Privacy is a research report commissioned by the Media Policy and Democracy Project to assess the communications surveillance laws across the Southern African region, which highlights key gaps in privacy protections in the region. The report aims to help address an information gap in surveillance studies, which tend to focus more on the global north.
I started working on surveillance oversight as an activist with South Africa’s Right2Know Campaign. Among other things I helped work on the following:
• Spooked (2018), a report on surveillance of journalists in South Africa
• Stop the Surveillance (2017), a handbook on South Africa’s surveillance laws
• Big Brother Exposed (2015), a report on state monitoring of activists and unionists
• Don’t impose new health policy until we understand impact of Covid data collection – 13 April 2022
• India’s Supreme Court strikes a blow against the use of spyware – 10 November 2021
• The quiet rise of spy states – 5 June 2020
• New privacy rules for Covid-19 tracking a step in the right direction, but … – 4 April 2020
• Digital privacy in the time of pandemics – 31 March 2020
• Dear Bheki Cele, this is so awkward – 25 February 2020
• Spying case is start of SA’s privacy reckoning – 4 June 2019
• The SSA spied on the people of SA and there’s much more we don’t know – 15 March 2019
Find me at work with the team at ALT Advisory.